Monday, January 11, 2016

Black Belt

On November 15, 2014 I received my black belt from Guilderland Martial Arts. At that time I had been practicing Taekwondo for about 4 years. I have been so interested in Taekwondo that I enjoy going to competitions and competing. I have competed in the New York State Championships for 3 years, going on 4th this year. In 2013 I went to Chicago Illinois for the 2013 National Championship. At that time, I was not a black belt, but the belt under. This was an experience of a lifetime.
The National championship was held on a Saturday, July 4. It was in the summer so we left on Thursday. Since it was almost a 13 hour drive, we stopped at Cleveland, Ohio. We stayed overnight, and went to a science museum that night before we left in the morning. Then we drove to Chicago Friday morning. My family had driven with about 5 other families.  Their children all competing. That night we all went out for food and got pumped for the next day when most of us were competing. I personally was so excited about what was coming the next day. The next day I got up at 8 o'clock  and were at the place where I was competing. I felt nervous and scared, I knew I would be alright though. I ended up waiting in line to compete by 11 o'clock. I was competing in Poomsae, which is a series of stances, blocks and strikes. There were 38 girls in my division, so half the girls could be cut and not be able to go to the second round. My goal was to at least make it to the second round. I did my first poomsae and thankfully made it to the second round. I hadn't thought I would or could make it this far. I believe that no one thought that I could make it this far. I wasn't thinking about my Poomsae the second time I went up to perform. My eyes were focused like a hawk on it's prey. I knew I couldn't let anyone down, I felt like everyone's weight was on my shoulders. I ended up placing 5th. I wasn't happy with my place. On our trip home, my mom was telling me I got 5th place in the whole nation. She kept repeating it, until I realized. I'm a 5th place National Champion, out of all of the 38 girls, I was 5th. Any other girl would've wanted this. I'm thankful everyday for the opportunity I had, and I achieved my goal.
I'll remember this trip and series of memories for the rest of my life. This was the best moment of my life. If I had the chance to relive this July 4, I would do it everyday. I loved spending time with my best friends, doing the sport I love. I'm thankful everyday for the chance to experience what I at this tournament. This was by far the best day of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment